Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Being the Jerk

What do you do when people behave and/or perform in a way that's contradictory to your vision? Many people let it go or make excuses for it. Why? Leaders would rather cowardly laugh off dysfunction than address dysfunctional behavior. Why rock the boat? It's easier to let it go and focus on "things that matter”. My friend, when people on your team sabotage your vision, IT MATTERS.

 


Many times adults are just overgrown teens trying to sort out what they can get away with without facing any consequences. I had to give a written warning to a 4 ½ year veteran employee this week because he chose not to show up on time on a Saturday after previously addressing his behavior. When I delivered the warning his response was, “I didn’t know those were the hours.” Okay, how many of us said the same thing when we were 16 or 17? Amen, I see that hand, and that one too. There are hands going up all over this blog.



I got his attention. My vision is greater than any one person. Therefore if being 100% sold out to what my team could accomplish, while positively affecting the world around us, causes me to discipline those who deserve it, then I am the biggest jerk of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment