Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Humble Leadership


Leading with humility is a prevalent topic among the well-known leadership thinkers of our day. It continues to grow in popularity because we don't often see it. What we're used to seeing are people who are self-proclaimed know-it-alls who overstate the importance of their thoughts while undervaluing the opinions of those around them. Ironically, we typically miss the fact that people are attracted to those who are humble and vulnerable – especially when they're leaders.

 
I can easily identify with the know-it-all crown because I am a recovering one. Some days are better than others. I can't put my finger on exactly what happens, but when I get into a discussion I think my words carry more validity than the people around me. I honestly don't know why, but it is a struggle. The toughest part is learning to actually be open-minded enough to entertain ideas that are different than mine.

Here's the weird thing – there are others who I trust implicitly and I allow their opinions to completely reshape my own. Why the dichotomy? I think part of it is that I trust and respect those peoples' opinions more than my own. Their success in life demands that I listen and think about their viewpoints. It's when I run into those whose life experience I don't respect or appreciate that my know-it-all weaponry comes out in full force.


Is this a good thing? No. Do I need to work on this? Yes. I need to work on it because I need to embrace humility. As Pat Lencioni once said, "Being humble doesn't mean you're always popular." I struggle with this too because I like to be known. I love attention as long as it's positive. Who wants negative attention? No one. Being humble doesn't mean I cave to every opinion, but instead it means that I interact and view others in a different manner. It is true that you can't give what you don't possess. Therefore, I want my know-it-all voice to get smaller so that I can live in humility. I recognize that I'm not the smartest, wisest, most successful person on the planet. If I truly embrace that thought, I need to live like it, but writing is easier than living.

1 comment:

  1. As the prophet Micah said, "The Lord has told you what is good, and this is what He requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Continue to take off the know-it-all crown, and put on humility. God opposes the proud but favors the humble. It's what I work on daily too.

    ReplyDelete